At Epic Environmental, we provide support in all areas concerning the design, management and construction of new containment, leachate treatment, landfill gas extraction and utilisation systems across all aspects of the landfill life cycle. Our devoted landfill engineering team, routinely undertakes the design, tendering, supervision, contract management and validation of greenfield and operational landfill development sites. Ensuring to work closely with our landfill engineers, our environmental team provides technical support using their expertise across planning, environmental permitting, hydrogeology, ecology and rehabilitation. Our team provides all the support needed to successfully develop cost effective and efficient waste management facilities, that meet the highest regulatory compliance requirements.
Our core areas of landfill design and management expertise include:
- Liner design and certification through CQA programs;
- Hydraulic design of leachate collection systems;
- Landfill capping systems and constriction quality assurance;
- Landfill gas & leachate monitoring;
- Alternative capping systems and design efficacy trails;
- Leachate management and treatment design and assessment.
Epic’s engineers and technical specialists uphold relationships with industry bodies and research groups, staying well – informed of the latest landfill gas management, control and recovery processes.
Essentially, landfill gas is controlled in the design phase with appropriate extraction and control systems. However, landfill gas risks associated with closed or historical landfills that are subject to ever increasing urban encroachment, presents several site-specific constraints and management challenges.
Our team are skilled in the assessment of landfill gas generation and migration risks and have developed site specific landfill gas risk assessment models to assess impacts to potential receptors. The risk assessment process is crucial in developing appropriately targeted remedial or management measures.
Epic has been at the forefront of developing and implementing on ground control measures such as:
- Vinyl sheet pile cut off walls;
- Bentonite slurry cut off walls;
- Membrane curtains and venting membranes;
- Passive and active extraction systems;
- Landfill gas, methane, H2S real-time monitoring and alarms systems.