Epic Environmental was pursued by Fulton Hogan Pty Ltd, to undertake soil characterisation sampling. This task was to be completed prior to the commencement of infrastructure upgrade works on a Department of Defence site, contaminated with PFAS; including perfluoro octane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA).
Epic worked with Fulton Hogan to:
- Complete an in-situ soil sampling program in accordance with procedures and requirements of State and Commonwealth Guidelines;
- Prepare a Soil Characterisation Report for Fulton Hogan and the Department of Defence summarizing works undertaken, comparison of analytical results with published criteria and details of proposed remediation and management requirements;
- Liaise with landfill disposal facilities to determine the suitability of contaminated soils for offsite disposal and ensure that suitable controls had been established at the disposal facility for the acceptance of PFAS impacted material;
- Ensure that appropriate approvals and controls were established, including approval from the Department of Defence for offsite disposal and ensuring waste tracking and transportation requirements were established, prior to removal of the material to the disposal facility;
- Establish appropriate controls to manage environmental and human health risks associated with the presence of PFAS at the site, to ensure the safe completion of the proposed works; and
- Prepare an Environmental Clearance Certificate (ECC) to manage proposed works and potential environmental impacts identified.
Epic Environmental, provided an effectual service that created a safe completion of works; assisting Fulton Hogan in the negotiation and management of contaminated material in a politically sensitive environment.