Epic Environmental Pty Ltd was engaged by Arrium Onesteel to complete a detailed Environmental Site Assessment for Due Diligence purposes at the Acacia Ridge Coil and Wire Mill. Epic’s scope included an intrusive soil and groundwater sampling program across the operational areas of the site. The site also included a 700m long operational rail easement that required specialised access and drilling equipment to provide adequate coverage of the site.
To assess the potential risk and nature of site contamination conducted a detailed historical review and development of a Sampling and Analysis Quality Plan. The full scope included:
- Historical search sources;
- Health, Safety and Environment Plan for the subject site works;
- Intrusive sampling at a total of 35 locations in a systematic sampling rationale that is also biased towards areas of higher risk of ground impacts;
- A comprehensive groundwater monitoring event;
- Decommissioning of 10 historical groundwater wells;
- Submission of samples to a NATA accredited laboratory for analysis for suite of contaminants; and
- Preparation of a NEMP 2013 compliant Detailed Site Investigation (DSI) report incorporating laboratory analysis and historical information to assess the current condition of the site in respect to ground contamination.
Through this project Epic demonstrated:
- Ability to assimilate complex historical and site related data to develop a revised conceptual site model and develop a cost-effective assessment program;
- Complete an intrusive sampling program during operation of a heavy industrial facility include milling and rail infrastructure in accordance with rigorous safety procedures;
- Assess site information to confirm site suitability and provide a comprehensive yet succinct technical report to satisfy multiple stakeholders.